Friday, April 26, 2013

THE ULTIMATE WARDROBE CHECKLIST OF A THIRTY-SOMETHING MAN







My 20-something self’s old wardrobe contains  fur sweaters, leopard print pants and gold Doc Martens . Sometimes worn with snakeskin vest and sometimes worn altogether.

One day, I sorted out my closet and packed away my club-clothes and everything flashy, keeping only the good buttondown shirts and some decent trousers and jeans.  And there aren’t a lot left.  My closet is literally empty!  
They said that at the age 30, one should have done playing with fashion already. By 30, you should have your own true brand of style. 

One may not find any other better timing to start a new wardrobe than this!

So, I went to make a checklist of wardrobe essentials for a 30-year-old  me. Clothing that I should start having. Regardless of one’s personal style, I think everything mentioned in the list are what we should all have. A little twist on details like, collar, prints, and fit can say a lot. In fact, I believe that this is the building blocks of a man’s wardrobe. Some may opt to have a happier color palette, others need to have more on one than the others, but for a start, I want to keep mine neutral and play on layering perhaps. It's just a matter of proper mixing of pieces to create an ensemble. 

Basically, I just presented to you the next 30 blogposts I plan of having, as I scour the stores for my own style inspiration of each item..


Feel free to save and print them to use as your guide.





1. CASUAL BUTTONDOWN. This should be the life after T-shirt. When choosing, consider the FIT, fabric and little awesome details. They make a difference. 2. CRISP WHITESHIRT. It takes some getting used to but after you get the hang of wearing white, it gives you a different confidence and glow. Again, fit and fabric makes a difference. 3. LONGSLEEVE SHIRT. A versatile item when layering. 4. POLO SHIRT. More casual than the Buttondown. Something I will probably own a lot of. 5. CASUAL BLAZERS. Day-to-Night quick fix item. Alternative to 20-something's denim jacket. 6.SWEATERS. Choose the season's best. You probably not gonna own a lot of this anyway. Great for styling. 7.CHINOS. They come in many colors for you to play around with your Buttondowns. Choose the fit that best flatter your legs. Probably the life after jeans. 8. JEANS. Time to give out those ripped and faded pairs. At this age, I'd probably want to notch up my brand of choice. 9. BLACK TROUSERS. The most versatile amongst my lot. If your wearing this a lot for work, get the best fit even if you have to spend a few more bucks. 10. WALKING SHORTS.  More casual than Chinos. Beats the heat on weekends. 11. CASUAL LEATHER BELT. I was never so picky with belts. As long as they're slim, real leather and has a nice clean buckle, I'm good. But how do we really use belts in creating style and look?  12.SNEAKERS.  Penis extension. 13. NON-DRESS LEATHER SHOES. Make sure it's comfortable, versatlie and of high quality. The shoes makes the man. 14.TOPSIDERS. The thing about dressing up on your 30's is that you should have the right clothes on the right occassion. Same goes with shoes. 15. BOOTS. Your last pieces of youth at your feet. 16. DRESS SHOES. To pair with your suit. At this age, your feet are fully developed and they won't grow any bigger that that. Invest on a really nice one. I keep mine clean before storing and walk it around the house from time to time to keep the leather oiled if I'm not using it a lot.17. TRAINERS. Because by now, you should really need to start a regimen. 




18. GYM SHORTS. No more college jersey shorts. Definitely, cut-off jeans are not allowed in the gym. The most comfortable thing ever. 19. HOODIE. Choose the subtly designed ones. Great styling piece. 20. SWIM SHORTS. Because Speedos are always optional. 21. SWEATPANTS. I think fit is also essential in sweatpants. I used to abhor sweatpants because I think they are too ugly, until i discovered a kind that doesn't look baggy and god, they're so comfortable! 22. GYM BAG. Not the free bags you get when you signed in  for membership at the gym. 23. GOOD SUIT. I missed several events and parties because i don't have a proper suit. Everyone's getting married at this age and you're going to attend to a lot of weddings! 24. DRESS BELT. Your suit's cherry on top. 25. SOCKS. At this age, I hope we know we can't wear white socks to a suit, right? 26. NECKTIES. If I wear it for work, then I'll try to own a lot. If not, at least keep some. I'd like to know more about necktie's history and if their patterns mean something. And find out if slim is still in. 27. TANKTOP. I guess now as a real underwear more than a party wear. 28. WHITE T-SHIRT. Where's the best place to get one? 29. DESIGNER UNDERWEAR. It's time for you to upgrade to a more adult grade. No more Bench underwear. And mind the fiber count. 

30. BLACK BIKER JACKET. I think this is the ultimate piece of every man's wardrobe. i don't care if it's pretty warm here but I still think every man should own a leather jacket. It's like the symbol of cool. It takes guts to wear one based on the reputation surrounding it, much less to use it often. And I think, you should really really look good in it, otherwise you didn't LIVED the life. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...